Learn how to bring mindfulness into therapy! Watch Dr. Jeff Tarrant as he connects the dots between the actual practices of mindfulness and their impact on the brain and daily functioning. Through active exposure to targeted mindfulness-based tools, as well as live demonstrations, you will leave with practical methods that can be integrated into your treatment plans for anxiety, depression, ADHD, chronic pain, OCD, and Personality Disorders.
This recording will include strategies that intersect with other therapeutic approaches, as well as a discussion of the clinical implications of research on biofeedback, mindfulness-in-motion, and nature-based strategies. Learn how and why certain mindfulness techniques are more effective than others for addressing symptoms of mood, anxiety, and attention. You will discover an expanded mindfulness-based toolbox to share with your clients, and the knowledge needed to prioritize and incorporate these tools into your existing practice.
Continuing Professional Development Certificates
- PESI Australia, in collaboration with PESI in the USA, offers quality online continuing professional development events from the leaders in the field at a standard recognized by professional associations including psychology, social work, occupational therapy, alcohol and drug professionals, counselling and psychotherapy. On completion of the training, a Professional Development Certificate is issued after the individual has answered and submitted a quiz and course evaluation. This online program is worth 6.0 hours CPD for points calculation by your association.
Jeff Tarrant, PhD, BCN, is a licensed psychologist, and senior fellow board certified in neurofeedback. He is the founder and CEO of the NeuroMeditation Institute (NMI), LLC and provides certification training for NMI therapists and instructors.
Dr. Tarrant is the author of Meditation Interventions to Rewire the Brain and recipient of the First Person Science Award from the Foundation for Neurofeedback and Neuromodulation Research. Dr. Tarrant specializes in teaching, clinical applications, and research combining technology-based interventions with meditative states for improved mental health. His research, featured in more than 20 book chapters and research articles, focuses on exploring brainwave changes that occur as a result of contemplative practices, technological interventions, and non-ordinary states of consciousness. In addition to his clinical background, Dr. Tarrant has also trained extensively in a variety of spiritual and meditative practices, including Zen, Vipassana, Taoism/Qigong, Arhatic Yoga, and Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR).
Financial: Dr. Jeff Tarrant is the CEO of the NeuroMeditation Institute. He is the Chief Scientist and part owner of Healium, and he is part owner of Neuphony. He is a scientific advisor for Divergent Technologies. Dr. Tarrant receives a speaking honorarium, book royalties recording royalties from PESI, Inc. He is a published author and receives royalties from Taylor & Francis.
Non-financial: Dr. Jeff Tarrant has no relevant non-financial relationships.
- Establish how meditation training can be incorporated into clinical practice as an adjunctive approach.
- Construct treatment plans for depression that integrate Focus and Open Heart meditation interventions that clients can use to manage negative thoughts.
- Formulate treatment plans for anxiety that include Mindfulness and breathing techniques that can be used to regulate the client’s arousal state.
- Instruct clients with obsessive-compulsive disorder on the utilization of Mindfulness and Quiet Mind interventions that can help reduce OCD symptoms.
- Communicate how Focus-based meditation interventions can be used as a complementary approach to improve attention in clients with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
- Characterize how different forms of meditation impact key regions of the brain important in helping clients manage their thoughts, emotions and behaviors.
ADHD: Strategies to Increase Focus & Self-Monitoring
Anxiety: Strategies to Manage & Address Judgment and Over- Thinking
- Focused attention meditation
- Automatic pilot: Conscious vs. unconscious behavior
- The mindfulness wedge for impulse control
- Overcome boredom: Use technology to make it more interesting!
Depression: Strategies to Shift Perspective
- Attitudinal qualities: Become aware
- Thoughts are not facts!
- Mindfulness and CBT
- Incorporate the breath to reduce fear
OCD and Personality Disorders
- Mindfulness and cognitive distortions
- Deepening the pleasant
- Loving kindness practices
- Don’t forget your body: Posture matters!
- The brain and self-talk
- Open Awareness Meditation
- What the research says about neurofeedback
- Benefits of combining mindfulness with movement
- The research, benefits and limitations
- Qigong/Taiji Quan
- Walking Meditation
- Impact of technology overload on the brain and health
- Nature Deficit
- Benefits of combining mindfulness with nature-based interventions
Counselors, Teachers/Educators, Marriage & Family Therapists, Occupational Therapists & Occupational Therapy Assistants, Psychologists, Social Workers, Speech-Language Pathologists and other Helping Professionals who Work with Children