Many millennials are choosing to ditch gender identifiers like male and female, and shed labels like single, taken, gay, or straight. They’re shucking them in favour of fluidity—the belief that one’s deeply personal sense of gender, sexuality, or in-relationship identity can be more elusive and shifting than previous generations acknowledged. We’ll explore how working with fluid millennial clients can be both enlightening and challenging for older therapists, especially when helping them navigate issues of intimacy, love, and sex.
Signe Simon, PhD, is the cofounder of LOVELINK, an online resource and podcast on modern love, and a postdoctoral fellow at New York University.
Financial: Signe Simon is co-founder of LOVELINK. She has no relevant financial relationships with ineligible organizations.
Non-financial: Signe Simon has no relevant non-financial relationship to disclose.
Therapists of New York
Simone Humphrey, PsyD, is the cofounder of LOVELINK and a postdoctoral fellow at Therapists of New York.
Financial: Simone Humphrey is co-founder of LOVELINK. She has an employment relationship with Manhattan VA. She has no relevant financial relationships with ineligible organizations.
Non-financial: Simone Humphrey has no relevant non-financial relationship to disclose.
Access for Self-Study (Non-Interactive)
Access never expires for this product.
- Discover how millennials approach romantic love differently, including the challenge of committing to relationships despite the endless options of dating apps, and squaring desire for independence and self-discovery with commitment needs.
- Discover the qualities that millennials most value in therapists, like directness and self-disclosure, and how to embody them.
- Discover how to truly connect with millennial clients by speaking their distinctive language, which includes tinder, bumble, ghosting, benching, and breadcrumbing.
Millennials approach love and sexuality differently compared to other age groups.
- Understand the challenge of committing to relationships
- Understand the challenge millenials face in the context of a desire for independence and commitment
Understand the how to build a therapeutic alliance with millennials
- Explore the qualities that millennials value in a therapist such as self-disclosure and directness
- Explore how to develop these qualities as a therapist
Learn the language of millennials
- Understand the distinctive language millennials speak
- Gain knowledge about the way millennials communicate in relationships
- Addiction Counselors
- Social Workers
- Marriage & Family Therapists
- Other Behavioral Health Professionals