Everyone who works in the field of education encounters students who have difficulty managing their emotions and behaviour.
These children quickly shut down, become disengaged or unmotivated and act out disrupting the classroom, which gets in the way of everyone’s learning.
These students need concrete emotional and behavioural interventions to support their social-emotional learning (SEL) development for social and academic success.
This comprehensive recording provides practical SEL solutions to build the mindsets, skills, and necessary supports to help young people manage their emotions, cope with challenges, and demonstrate perseverance to attain goals and healthy behaviours.
Watch and equip yourself with evidence-based intervention strategies and instructional practices to build self-awareness, self-regulation, social awareness, relationship-building and responsible decision-making skills to help your students:
- Build healthy mindsets, increase engagement, motivation and decision-making skills
- Invest in positive behaviour and learning changes, including effective group work
- Self-regulate emotions and reduce conflicts
- Cope with challenges and decrease emotional distress
- Reduce conduct problems and risk-taking behaviours
- Stop shutting-down and reduce non-compliant behaviour
- Maintain positive social behaviours and relationships with peers and adults
- Attain and maintain goals and healthy learning habits
- Improve test scores, grades and attendance
Through interactive activities and video demonstrations you will finish this program inspired with a wealth of highly proactive and effective strategies to transform the social-emotional health of your classroom.
You will immediately be able to help your students develop responsibility for their own behaviour and learning and contribute to a positive classroom environment!
Inclusion for a Better Future, LLC
Savanna Flakes, Ed.S., PMC, is an award-winning teacher, experienced instructional leader, and educational consultant who has taught a variety of subjects and led professional development for multiple school levels on a range of topics such as differentiation, literacy interventions, inclusion, co-teaching, and specially designed instruction. Educators who have worked with Savanna have often commented on her experience and knowledge of differentiated instructional strategies to ensure every learner has access to the curriculum and is ready for 21st century success.
She is an engaging and enthusiastic international presenter who believes that every child has talents to offer and can be a contributing member in our classroom, school, and society. Savanna holds an Education Specialist Degree in Administration Leadership, a Post Masters Certificate in Education Leadership, and Curriculum and Instruction: Literacy, and Special Education. She is a National Board Certified Teacher (NBPTS), an International Education Technology Standards Certified Teacher (ISTE), a Google Certified Educator, and the author of the Inclusion Instructional Strategies Corner for MultiBriefs.
Financial: Savanna Flakes is the CEO for Inclusion for a Better Future, LLC. She is an adjunct professor at the American University in Washington DC. Savanna is a manuscript reviewer with Solution Tree Press and Jossey-Bass/Wiley. She receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc. She has no relevant financial relationships with ineligible organizations.
Non-financial: Savanna Flakes has no relevant non-financial relationship to disclose.
Access for Self-Study (Non-Interactive)
Access never expires for this product.
- Utilize best practices in the classroom to create a positive learning environment that fosters teamwork and helps students to develop prosocial behaviour and relationships with peers and adults.
- Implement instructional intervention strategies to support students’ social-emotional learning as it relates to frustration management, impulse control and perseverance to achieve personal and educational goals.
- Differentiate between a growth versus fixed mindset and implement interventions to support the development of a perseverance and grit in students.
- Analyze common challenging student behaviours and demonstrate the application of a positive behavioural strategy to facilitate social-emotional learning skills.
- Implement both proactive and reactive strategies for the most challenging disruptive and explosive student behaviour.
- Develop a SEL plan or behaviour plan that can be used to support challenging student behaviour across all settings.
Whole Classroom SEL Techniques and Behavior Interventions, Activities & Instructional Practices To…
Build A Positive Classroom Community
- The neuroscience behind your class: Ideas for working with student diversity
- Cooperative learning structures to promote teamwork: Experiential activities
- Reduce classroom anxiety and increase student connection to lessons
- Build positive and effective learning-based classrooms
- Evidenced-based practices for the five core competencies of SEL
Develop Student Perseverance and Grit
- Growth vs fixed mindset: Research-based case studies
- Build perseverance: Video demonstrations
- Develop resilience toward rigorous and complex tasks
- Mistakes as opportunities and prevent fear of failure
Increase Student Self-Awareness
- Teach them how to assess their strengths and limitations Increase self-confidence, optimism and self-efficacy
- Help them identify emotions, thoughts and behaviours in different situations
- Teach self-discipline and goal-setting skills
- Self-monitoring techniques to track learning and academic behaviours Improve
Student Self-Regulation Skills
- Model positive self-talk and effective self-reflection
- Support executive-functioning needs
- Develop problem-solving skills and solving conflicts
- Manage and cope with emotions using evidencedbased frameworks
Develop Student Social Awareness
- Teach perspective taking and empathy
- Social anxiety techniques to reduce stress
- Lesson plans on social and ethical norms for behaviour
Manage Disruptive Behavior
- Proactive and corrective measures
- Practical motivational incentives
- Strategies for the basic functions and needs of chronic misbehaviour
Enhance Whole Class Positive Behavior Interventions
- Behaviour strategies to support academic success
- Core elements of evidenced-based classwide reinforcement systems
- Lesson plans on character education
Respond to Trauma and Tragedy
- Strategies to positively support trauma impacted students
- Calm the stress response related to anxiety or depression
- Alternatives to zero-tolerance policies to help nurture resilience
- Mitigate stress through mindfulness exercises, goalsetting activities and group identity-building
- General Education Teachers
- Special Education Teachers
- School Administration
- School Social Wokers
- School Counselors
- School Psychologists
- Speech-Language Pathologists
- Occupational Therapists
- Occupational Therapy Assistants
- School Paraprofessionals
- Other Helping Professionals who Work with School-Age Children