Get a multi-dimensional toolbox of assessment, developmental, relational and treatment dynamics for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Questioning Clients. Leave this course with a new mastery of therapeutic implications more effectively so you can empower your clients through any stage of their life.
With over 39% of the LGBTQ+ population reporting symptoms of trauma, shame, fear, discrimination, abuse, attachment injury, substance abuse, and suicidal ideation...
...it’s critical that you thoroughly understand the complexities of LGBTQ+ mental health and its impact on treatment and the identity development process.
An LGBTQ-friendly practice is NOT the same as an LGBTQ-informed one—it’s time to close the gap.
This essential online course is your guide to confidently working with clients on any part of the sexuality and gender continuum, which could be any client you work with.
Using a trauma-informed lens, leading experts in the LGBTQ+ field will unpack LGBTQ+ related trauma—from covert cultural sexual abuse and minority stress—that often underlies presenting symptoms and interferes with our client’s identity development.
Register now to become the go-to therapist for LGBTQ+ clients and help them feel at home in your practice and move them toward living a life that’s authentic to who they are!
When you register, you’ll acquire clear strategies with straightforward guidance that other trainings shy away from. You’ll learn how to:
- Help work through the trauma of suppressing sexual and gender identity
- Engage clients around cultural norms, gender, sex, and relationships
- Build a strong foundation of safety, trust, and credibility
- Avoid the most common treatment mistakes that can leave your client more traumatized by the therapy intended to help them
- Build self-acceptance and overcome internalized homophobia
- Non-heterosexual behaviours and practices
- Manage your own biases about sexual orientation and gender
- Work with gendered couples and mixed-orientation couples
- Guide every step of your client’s unique, self-discovery process
- Help clients navigate the difficult process of coming out
You’ll walk away with new knowledge that combines time-tested research and up-to-date movements in the field for a comprehensive approach for working with any LGBTQ+ client in any phase and on any part of the sexuality-gender spectrums.
THAT’S NOT ALL, this course offers TWO incredible bonus additions so you can enhance your practice with LGBTQ+ clients.
This module provides clear strategies to comfortably engage clients around cultural norms, gender, sex, relationships, and terminology. Expert clinician Aaron Testard, LMFT, LPCC, combines his years of experience working within the LGBTQ+ community and LGBTQ+ clients with evidence-based research and timely movements in the field for a comprehensive approach for working with any LGBTQ+ client in any phase and on any part of the sexuality and gender spectrums. Get the specific tools you need to build trust and enhance credibility with your LGBTQ+ clients.
Click here for course objectives and outline. Here’s what your colleagues have said about Aaron's training:
- "The best PESI training I have been participated in so far! Aaron was incredibly knowledgeable, and shared practical, specific and applicable interventions that I can incorporate into my practice. There was a great balance of education on the history of this topic, and current evidenced-based interventions." – A.H.
- "Fantastic seminar and presenter. Truly the best training on working with LGBTQ clients that I have ever attended." – Theresa S.
This module will equip you with the right tools and up-to-date information you need in this rapidly changing population to more effectively counsel your lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning clients, and couples. Expert clinician Joe Kort, Ph.D., LMSW, will walk you through specific strategies to better treat the unique challenges your client may be facing, such as: self-acceptance and internalized homophobia, non hetero-normative sexual behaviours and practices, trauma and abuse from growing up LGBTQ, or the difficult process of coming out. You’ll get practical strategies to avoid the common mistake of believing “a couple is a couple” and treating LGBTQ couples the same as their heterosexual counterparts.
Here’s what your colleagues say about Joe's training:
- "Excellent presentation. The best one I've ever had through PESI. Joe Kort was really great." – Andrea D.
- "Great presentation. I realized I know more than I thought I did and it validated my work with clients. I will be sharing the content and handouts with my clinical team. I appreciated the frankness and find that is often a big stumbling block for clinicians working with this population. Thanks so much!" – Jennifer N.
Just $299.95 (GST Inclusive) Today — Unbelievable Savings!
Earn up to 17.25 CPD
In this bonus module, you’ll get the tools to provide better support the LGBTQIA2+ trans and nonbinary folks in your lives, and help to create a safer, kinder and more accepting world. Being an LGBTQIA2+ ally is the first step on how to support LGBTQIA2+ transgender and nonbinary people in your life, program, school, private practice, hospital, College, Detox, group home for youth, correctional facility, mental health or substance disorder treatment facility, home, sober living, or any organization or facility.
You’ll get The Basics of Gender: gender identity, gender expression, and transitioning, LGBTQIA2+ terms and definitions, Suicide prevention regarding the LGBTQIA2+ Community. You'll also get the Basics of Sexual Orientation with tips and techniques on the Coming Out process, such as: planning ahead, testing the waters, environment, support systems, and safety, healthy relationships, self-care, mental health, and warning signs of negative mental health outcomes such as seriously considering suicide.
Many millennials are choosing to ditch gender identifiers like male and female, and shed labels like single, taken, gay, or straight. They’re shucking them in favour of fluidity—the belief that one’s deeply personal sense of gender, sexuality, or in-relationship identity can be more elusive and shifting than previous generations acknowledged. This FREE BONUS module explores how working with fluid millennial clients can be both enlightening and challenging for older therapists, especially when helping them navigate issues of intimacy, love, and sex. Click here for course objectives and outline.
YES! With over 16 hours of online video training, insightful commentary, case studies and examples, you will take away powerful new clinical strategies to immediately apply in your own practice! We encourage you to take the time to fully absorb everything. Watch the videos. Read the materials. Get your CPD! But, if you review all of the course materials and are still not satisfied, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your satisfaction is guaranteed.
Yes! Once you register for this course - the materials, including bonus content, are yours to keep and access forever.
Continuing Professional Development Certificates
PESI AU offers quality online continuing professional development events from the leaders in the field at a standard recognised by professional associations including psychology, social work, occupational therapy, alcohol and drug professionals, counselling and psychotherapy. On completion of the training, a Professional Development Certificate is issued after the individual has answered and submitted a quiz and course evaluation.