While it may seem intuitive, there are many important factors that you should know before you take your client out in public. In 6 short hours, you can learn all the important details before you take a client outside of the safety of your office and be equipped with the right tools for informed consent, confidentiality and both yours and your clients’ emotional and physical needs.
If you’re like most therapists, then it’s likely crossed your mind to take your client out for a walk.
You know the obvious health benefits… but confidentiality, privacy, liability and other professional issues may have held you back, such as:
- What if my client has an emotional breakdown in public?
- Is there research that supports walking therapy truly benefits clients?
- Will I look unprofessional?
- How do I even introduce this concept to my client?
- What if my client or I encounter someone we know?
As a leading consultant for walking therapists in the U.S., Jennifer Udler, LCSW-C, not only has evidence-based strategies and best practices for these questions and more...
...she has next-step solutions to protect your license and grow your practice!
Walking Therapy is more than meets the eye... you’ll learn how to integrate walk-and-talk strategies that enhance rapport, release body trauma and improve therapeutic outcomes outside or in any setting.
Filled with robust, practical strategies, this course is broken down into easy-to-digest modules and provides practical strategies that you can easily apply in session right away:
- A step-by-step guide for transitioning your clients’ mindset from indoors to outdoors and achieve transformational clinical outcomes while moving
- Specific tools for client screening, informed consent, documentation, billing and more
- Evidence-based strategies on how to incorporate nature therapy, mindfulness and other treatment modalities while walking
- Essential checklists, risk assessments and resources to prepare for your outdoor practice
- Solutions for critical ethical considerations, first aid, finding shelter and other questions you may not have even considered!
Register today - enhance your practice and change how you feel about being a therapist!
- What is walking therapy?
- Why practice in this way?
- What are the modalities used to implement outdoor therapy?
- What are the specific benefits of walk and talk?
- History of walk and talk therapy
- Most prominent practitioners: From Freud to Kostrubala
- Research on walk and talk therapy
- Research on nature’s therapeutic effect and the biophilia hypothesis
- Research on physiological response to movement, and how movement effects mood and anxiety levels
- How to screen clients
- How to have critical conversations with clients prior to first sessions
- Confidentiality and how to create your informed consent
- How to shift your mindset from indoors to outdoors
- Maintaining boundaries while outdoors
- 5 necessary therapeutic skills to meet the needs of the client during outdoor sessions
- Case example of how to run an outdoor group therapy session
- Audio session demonstration
- How to maintain your sense of professionalism outside
- Incorporating nature and utilizing mindfulness strategies while walking
- 3 powerful examples of meditation strategies that are effective outside
- Creative and applicable ways to weave nature into the therapeutic process. Nature as a metaphor
- Experience a virtual walk with 5 examples of natural tools to add to your therapy repertoire
- The importance of holding space for client’s emotions in an outdoor environment
- Tips for dealing with challenging scenarios
- A checklist to prepare you for your first outdoor session
- Risks and addressing concerns about the weather; including how to handle rescheduling, or finding shelter
- Confronting critical topics related to the ethical questions of a walk and talk practice
- Best practices on scheduling and billing clients
- Managing documentation
- Use of technology in your practice
- Answers to serious questions about first aid, and a safety plan while on the trail
- What walk and talk therapists can contribute to the world. The future of walk and talk therapy
- Explore the scientific underpinnings of walking-based format of psychotherapeutic treatment and which clients it may be appropriate for
- Develop ethical guidelines and informed consent that include specific considerations for public walking therapy
- Examine the risks and benefits of walking therapy
- Learn the 3 significant factors that are active during walk and talk, combining movement, nature, and therapy
- Learn how to conduct a session while outdoors; including seeing others on the trail, handling the various weather conditions, different terrain, and how to use nature to enhance the effectiveness of the therapy
- Learn 4 specific mindfulness-based strategies that can be used during outdoor and walking therapy
Jennifer Udler, LCSW-C, is the founder of Positive Strides Therapy where she has a full-time walking psychotherapy practice and consulting business.
Jennifer is a licensed clinical social worker in Maryland. She has 20 years of experience treating children, adolescents, and adults. She specializes in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness, and supportive counselling. Jennifer’s experience includes working with children and adults with anxiety, depression, and ADHD. She received her MSW from the University of Pennsylvania and her BA from Binghamton University. Click here for information about Jennifer Udler.
Continuing Professional Development Certificates
PESI AU offers quality online continuing professional development events from the leaders in the field at a standard recognised by professional associations including psychology, social work, occupational therapy, alcohol and drug professionals, counselling and psychotherapy. On completion of the training, a Professional Development Certificate is issued after the individual has answered and submitted a quiz and course evaluation.
Learn how to safely integrate Walking Therapy into your practice!$474.95 Value
Just $149.95 (GST Inclusive) Today — Unbelievable Savings!
Plus, FREE bonuses & exclusive offer just for you!